The rants and raves of a teenage cinephile who is just a little bit obsessed with Catherine O'Hara and Hayao Miyazaki.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Overall Ranking of Best Score Nominees

Since I've done a couple of years so far, I'm going to go ahead and start putting up an overall ranking of all of the ones I've "judged". It's really hard to do this because...scores are so different, and not easily compared. So things may switch around occasionally. Anyway, here you go! N00bs italicized.

I've also now organized the rankings a bit more specifically into categories.

The Absolute Essentials

1. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - Howard Shore
2. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - John Williams
3. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Tan Dun
4. Pan's Labyrinth - Javier Navarette
5. The Social Network - Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
6. Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Alexandre Desplat
7. Wall-E - Thomas Newman


Fantastically Awesome

8. Shakespeare in Love - Stephen Warbeck
9. Up - Michael Giacchino
10. How to Train Your Dragon - John Powell
11. Notes on a Scandal - Philip Glass
12. The Hurt Locker - Marco Beltrami and Buck Sanders
13. The Queen - Alexandre Desplat
14. Slumdog Millionaire - AR Rahman


Quite Good

15. Prince of Egypt - Stephen Schwartz, Hans Zimmer
16. Mulan - Jerry Goldsmith, Matthew Wilder, David Zippel
17. The King's Speech - Alexandre Desplat
18. Chocolat - Rachel Portman
19. A Bug's Life - Randy Newman
20. Avatar - James Horner
21. Monsters Inc. - Randy Newman
22. A.I. Artificial Intelligence - John Williams
23. Fantastic Mr. Fox - Alexandre Desplat
24. Inception - Hans Zimmer
25. Milk - Danny Elfman
26. Malena - Ennio Morricone
27. The Patriot - John Williams


Not Bad

28. 127 Hours - A.R. Rahman
29. The Good German - Thomas Newman
30. Sherlock Holmes - Hans Zimmer
31. Gladiator - Hans Zimmer
32. A Beautiful Mind - James Horner
33. Defiance - James Newton Howard
34. Babel - Gustavo Santaolalla


Um...?

35. Patch Adams - Marc Shaiman

So there you have it! More updates to come! Check out the years' rankings so far...

1998 Musical/Comedy - 2000 - 2001 - 2006 - 2008 - 2009 - 2010

4 comments:

  1. What about Inglorious Basterds? That's my favorite score ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...no Inglorious Basterds?

    (I feel like I've said this before. Weird)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I think you did. I just hadn't published it yet.

    Anyway, I LOVE the IB score! The ones on this list are just the Academy-nominated ones that I've done rankings for. It's highly different from my actual "favorite scores" list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have ranked Sherlock higher, especially ahead of Avatar. Love the soundtrack!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...leave a comment!