The rants and raves of a teenage cinephile who is just a little bit obsessed with Catherine O'Hara and Hayao Miyazaki.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Are You KIDDING Me?!

WARNING: Rants ahead.

So, I recently came upon Parade Magazine's "What People Earn" issue when I saw this shocking piece of information.

No, not that Ken Federico lives in Alaska, but that Taylor Swift, 21 year old TAYLOR SWIFT, makes 17.2 MILLION dollars. I don't know if that's yearly or what, but 17.2 million?! That's more than some, nay MOST people make in their entire lifetimes!

You're telling me that this girl...



...makes 17.2 million dollars? Give me a break. I mean, even Meryl Streep only earned 5 million for her brilliant work in the Devil Wears Prada. Sure that's not counting whatever else Meryl gets paid for, but seriously people!

Okay, Taylor seems like a sweet girl. I loved her on SNL and "You Belong With Me" is oft-stuck in my head. But does this girl, whose level of talent is debatable, deserve 17.2 million dollars? Really, does anyone deserve to make that much?

Celebrity salaries are quite ridiculous. With advertising sponsorships and movie salaries and record deals, it begins to get out of hand. Many of them do good with their money, but...I don't know. It's just out of control.

So yeah. Sorry Taylor, but I just had to rant. I loves ya, and you seem nice, but...for goodness sake! 17.2 million dollars? Ai Jesus. She's fine, but she sounds like a little girl. I'm sorry! So sorry!!!


I'm not gonna lie though...I love this...


Okay so pardon my rants. What are your thoughts on Taylor Swift, or the general state of celebrity salaries? Respond in the comments!

7 comments:

  1. She earned it just most other celebrity earned it. You must realize every single time one of her song is bought on ITune or one of her album is bought, she gets a fraction of that. If people think celebrities are overpaid, then they should stop attending concerts, sporting events, the movie theater and buying music. Simple economics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I can't argue with you there. You are really right...I suppose it seems absurd on a small scale, but then when you look at the big picture (everyone who buys a movie ticket or a song) it does make sense as to how they make so much. I think I'm just a little shocked because I'm not a big Taylor Swift fan, so it seems like overkill, but it all makes sense when you put it that way. I suppose there is nothing we can do if we want to keep enjoying music and movies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry...ooh I didn't know I was going to push so many buttons with this post! I suppose it is quite over-the-top. Taylor is a sweetheart. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeh, Swift is too nice to take a nab at her. Plus, she donated like half a million to help with the floods in the Tennessee, right? Plus, she seems all like "yes, I wanna be a role model" instead of the usual "I didn't ask to be a role model" type.

    And, she's a giant. Right? Super tall. We tiny people don't usually take shots at tall for fear of repercussion xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, the more I've thought about this the more I regret ragging on the poor girl. It's great that she's using her money to donate to Tennessee!

    Plus, in retrospect, it's not like she ASKED for it, she's just doing what she loves and getting paid well for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did think winning all those awards was a little "too" much, even though I did think her album was pretty good.

    But because she's so sweet, I can't even be mad at her... it probably made the Grammy people uncomfortable to deny her best album (or was it record?)... xD

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...leave a comment!