The rants and raves of a teenage cinephile who is just a little bit obsessed with Catherine O'Hara and Hayao Miyazaki.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Glee Cast...From Best to Worst

In case you guys didn't already know, I have a sort of love-hate relationship with Glee. Even though its first season had an absolutely ridiculous and utterly annoying storyline, at least it had a storyline. Now, it feels like it's becoming a forced mess! Olivia Newton John was great, but what was the point? Thus, in order to fulfill my need to both rave and complain about glee, here's my hierarchy of the Glee cast, complete with commentary...

1. Jane Lynch as Sue Sylvester (Duh. She's just amazing)

2. Jayma Mays as Emma Pillsbury (Her "you're a slut" monologue in the other night's episode was just brilliant, she gets better every week)

Love!!!

3. Jessalyn Gilsig as Terri Schuester (her character is horribly written but she actually was able to make me feel sorry for her. I wish she had more in this new season)

4. Heather Morris as Brittany (her lines aren't some of the funniest in the show for no reason!)

5. Amber Riley as Mercedes Jones (I like the sass, and she gives it heart)

6. Chris Colfer as Kurt Hummel (He was great in the coming out episodes and he's still entertaining, though his character gets less and less to do as time goes on)

7. Naya Rivera as Santana Lopez (Her sort of snarky attitude is quite enjoyable)

8. Dianna Agron as Quinn Fabray (She's inconsistent but that's the writer's fault. When she's good she's really good)

Yea for potential!

9. Mark Salling as Noah Puckerman (He's funny sometimes, but I don't really care about his character at all)

10. Lea Michele as Rachel Berry (Again, inconsistent. And, her character is so annoying. Am I supposed to like her, or what? But she definitely has some moments)

11. Jenna Ushkowitz as Tina Cohen-Chang (I loved her when she sang "I Kissed A Girl", and her angry tirade against Artie, but she's n-n-n-n-not amazing and her character barely gets anything to do)

12. Kevin McHale as Arty Abrams (I give him credit for dancing in a wheelchair but...whatever)

13. Matthew Morrison as Will Schuester (Mehhh. I dunno. His romantic scenes are cringe-worthy, his character is blah, and "Ice Ice Baby" the other night made me want to barf)

Ugh...

and finally...

14. Cory Monteith as Finn Hudson (He has two modes, whiny and angry. Maybe it's just the character, and he seems like a nice enough guy, but...for the "main" teenage character, he's just not charismatic enough!)

So there you go. That's just my opinion! I want to hear yours in the comments. Any time I watch Glee I just feel like I need to rant. But I also need to make it clear that I feel that Jane Lynch and Jayma Mays are both absolutely brilliant. Emmy noms, PLEASE!

9 comments:

  1. Come? Lea Michele, Lea Michele and then Lea Michele again...and not because she's hot...(shallow, I know) but she's a great actor and honestly, I like the disparity between her "good" days and "bad days"...she reminds me of so many people I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps I was a bit harsh on Lea Michele. I can see that she's a good actress, and I REALLY liked her "Don't Rain on My Parade" last season, but her character annoys me. But! I'm sure with a better role she'd shine, unlike many of the members of this cast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rather like Arty...but, then, it may just be fond feelings for the line "Artie's rolling himself into a wall".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with your bottom two, although I might swap their spots. Mr. Schuester drives me up the wall. He's so melodramatic and lame (and if he raps again my eyes will probably roll out of my head). I was so pleased when Emma called him out this week! Other than that, this is clearly Lynch's show, so well done on choosing her as your number one. Interesting list, sir! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Jayma Mays, will she ever get a decent movie role?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jayma Mays at 2? I think she's good, but she doesn't really sell Emma very well to me. My favorite is Dianna Argon. Maybe her breakdown with her father could have been better, but I always think she's real and believable too. I think Lea Michelle is great, but is wasted in the newer episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd have to put Dianna Agron up a lot higher. And maybe knock Jane Lynch down a peg...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simon: Arty isn't bad at all! But like so many others he suffers from the writing...

    Luke: Glad to hear you agree, especially with the bottom two! The rap was really atrocious, wasn't it? *Shudder*

    Castor: I know! Hopefully she gets something good soon...

    Joe: Lea is definitely being wasted in the newer eps, she's become more of a supporting role. I definitely agree that Agron is painfully genuine, any inconsistencies in her acting really come from the writing.

    australiadude: Like I just said, Agron is quite good and would be better if the writers had a bit more faith in her character.

    ReplyDelete
  9. how about a reassessment? Tina? After this week's episode? I think Ryan Murphy tends to get better supporting... or I mean, more memorable supporting characters, than his main ones.

    I really dislike Finn, I give you that. xD

    Terri, I think you were supposed to hate her, but she was so funny. Her outburst against a midnight-calling Susie Pepper is one of her top comedic moments.

    Emma and Kurt are my faves, and I have a soft spot for Quinn - there's just something really unsettling about the fact that Agron plays her with a layer of niceness - so makes me feel sorry for her... but then she does or says something bitchy. And did anyone wonder what was Quinn doing hanging out with Mercedes AND Rachel over at the Vocal Adrenaline place?

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...leave a comment!