The rants and raves of a teenage cinephile who is just a little bit obsessed with Catherine O'Hara and Hayao Miyazaki.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Thor (2011)

The problem with a movie exceeding expectations is that it then warps your critique of that movie. Did I enjoy "Thor" as much as I did because it was a legitimately good movie, or was it just because it exceeded rather drastically my remarkably low expectations? Perhaps a bit of both. For me the most surprising aspect of the film was actually Chris Hemsworth's performance as Thor. The character Thor could have been so easily turned into a muscular lump of grunts and growls but Hemsworth nuances his performance with emotional ups and downs that turn Thor into one of the more interesting superheroes of recent memory. However, best in show easily goes to Kat Dennings who steals every scene she's in. The biggest problem I had with the movie was that it was far too reliant on CGI, which made it feel a bit artificial - for example, Asgard was not anywhere near as awe inspiring as it aspired to be because it felt so phony. Anyway, "Thor" is surprising - not brilliant or timeless cinema by any means but as a piece of entertainment it totally succeeds.

7/10
(It's tough for me to decide between a 6 and a 7. Hm)

4 comments:

  1. Yes there was a lot of CGI but not more than necessary. To create Asgard, they really had no choice but to make it all CGI. Glad you liked this Robert! It surprised me positively as well, especially given the terrible trailers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, true Castor, I suppose I phrased it wrong - it wasn't necessarily that it couldn't have used CGI, but there was still something off putting about Asgard. It wasn't as beautiful as it...looked, I suppose? I was kind of comparing it to Lord of the Rings. Not that anything can really fairly stand up to LOTR :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave "Thor" a "B" rating, which is about the same as a 7/10, I think. I never put it in those words, but I asked myself the same question you pose. "Thor" exceeded my expectations, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a great movie. It doesn't come close to "Spider-Man 2" or "Iron Man," for example.

    The high points for me were the scenes involving Tom Hiddleston as Loki -- GREAT character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asgard looked like what Studio 54 would've been like if it was a whole city. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...leave a comment!