The rants and raves of a teenage cinephile who is just a little bit obsessed with Catherine O'Hara and Hayao Miyazaki.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Best Score Ranking: 2008

This was a ridiculously strong year. Really, any of these could have won and I would have been happy, but the top three are especially wonderful. On any other given day their order could be completely switched around. :)

5. Defiance - James Newton Howard


The problem with this score is that it feels like it's trying too hard to be "Schindler's List". But, I mean, it works because it is still very beautiful.


4. Milk - Danny Elfman



I would have thought Danny Elfman a strange choice for this movie but he's actually perfect. The score was probably one of my favorite things about this movie - it's subtle, unique and lovely. Perhaps not the most memorable score ever, but still quite effective.


3. Slumdog Millionaire - A.R. Rahman



It's sad putting this as number 3 because I LOVE, love, love love this score. So exciting, so unique, and so perfect for the movie which I also love. Latika's Theme is the best. I just don't really think it deserved to win the Oscar - a lot of it is a "song" score, which is against their rules right? And some of the best moments use themes from classical music as well. Plus, I can't imagine this was much of a challenge for A.R. Rahman... Still, it's amazing.


2. Wall-E - Thomas Newman



Perfect, absolutely perfect in every single way. It's futuristic, the sweeping strings are gorgeous and I just melt when I hear the music for the scene where Eve and Wall-E are dancing in space.


1. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Alexandre Desplat



Oh, so wonderful. Magical, beautiful and enchanting just like the film. Alexandre Desplat is probably one of my favorite composers working today and this is just an absolutely amazing score.


Should Have Been Nominated...

Maybe The Dark Knight (Hans Zimmer) or Departures (Joe Hisaishi) would probably have been better fits for Defiance's spot, but really this is such a strong lineup that I think the music branch might have been almost perfect with this one.

What was your favorite score of 2008? Share your thoughts in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. I just really don't get the Slumdog Millionaire thing. I mean, it's fine and all... but listening to WALL-E and Curious Case, they're far superior in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the eight reasons I don't like Slumdog Millionaire, the other reasons are its other seven wins. DESPLAT WAS ROBBED!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luke and Andrew, even though I seem to like the Slumdog score much more than you guys, I definitely agree. Wall-E and especially Button are so much more inventive than Slumdog, which is probably just A.R. Rahman doin' his thing. :P

    And Simon, Wall-E is amazing. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang! I left a comment on this yesterday and my iPhone apparently didn't post it.

    I'll do a summation of what I said:
    Slumdog - definitely unique, though upon second viewing Jai Ho really got under my skin. Love it's energy though! Agree that it's a bit too 'pop song'y to be nominated

    Wall-E - awwwwweeeeeeeeesome! Love it. I'm a bit more inclined toward the score to Up though just because it plays more toward my nostalgic side recalling the adventure films that I grew up on.

    Yay for music!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This Guy, I agree, I think that perhaps the reason Slumdog won was because it stood out so much from the others...though I think the Jai Ho win was much more justified than the entire score!

    And, I've said it a million times but I'll say it again, Wall-E is amazing :D

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...leave a comment!