The rants and raves of a teenage cinephile who is just a little bit obsessed with Catherine O'Hara and Hayao Miyazaki.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Literary Movies.

Is it just me, or does it seem like every major piece of literature has been turned into a movie? Really, you can look up almost any book and chances are, it's been adapted. That being said, there are still plenty of books that haven't been adapted and the ones that have aren't all necessarily successful.

I'm currently reading "The Woman Warrior" by Maxine Hong Kingston - it would be an interesting movie but I think it's almost unfilmable.

So, that brings me to today's topic, for discussion in the comments...is there a novel/memoir/play that you would like to see on the big screen? Or, is there a book that has already been made into a movie that you'd like to see remade at a higher quality? Go!

6 comments:

  1. First of all, I like that notion of certain books being "unfilmable." The Hours comes to mind as a novel that was so all over the place that most thought it was going to be virtually impossible to put together a film based on it. And then look what happened.

    As far as pieces of literature that I would love to see on the big screen, I've always thought that Stephen King's Dark Tower series would make a fantastic movie series. Get Quentin Tarantino behind it, and it would be classic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true! I haven't read the book but I heard people thought it would be "unfilmable". But, it turned out to be a masterpiece. I suppose, in the right hands, even the strangest book could become a successful movie.

    Sort of like The Lovely Bones, that was a really challenging book to adapt, and unfortunately Peter Jackson wasn't really the right man for the job.

    But, that adaptation of The Dark Tower series actually sounds amazing! I would so go see it, especially if it was directed by Tarantino.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always sort of pictured Clive Owen as Roland, the Gunslinger... I'm thinking we need to get this thing pitched to the major studios stat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paint me hipster, but I'd like to see "Perks of Being a Wallflower" on the big screen. And one of these days they'll figure out how to make "Confederacy of Dunces" work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simon: I've never read the book but the premise sounds like it would make a really fascinating movie. I actually want to read it now. Thanks!

    Luke: Definitely! It sounds like it would be perfect, oh my gosh. Haha

    This Guy: Wallflower would be a great movie! Actually, it's sort of surprising that it hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...leave a comment!