The rants and raves of a teenage cinephile who is just a little bit obsessed with Catherine O'Hara and Hayao Miyazaki.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Christopher Guest...From Best to Worst

I'm a huge fan of Christopher Guest's hilarious ensemble comedies. I'm including "Spinal Tap" on this list even though it wasn't directed by Guest, because... it still counts!!! Sort of. And I'm excluding "Almost Heroes" because...well, if you've seen it, then you'd understand.

Here's my list...
  1. Waiting for Guffman
  2. This is Spinal Tap
  3. Best in Show
  4. A Mighty Wind
  5. For Your Consideration
The top two are really close, and the middle two are really close...For Your Consideration was kind of weak, minus Catherine O'Hara's brilliant performance. I love you Catherine!!!

So what are your favorite Christopher Guest mockumentaries and performances?

4 comments:

  1. Oh no... I hate to think of any of them as the least of... well... anything. I loved For Your Consideration, so I have to jump to its defense. I'd say that my number one choice, though, is a close race between Waiting for Guffman and Best in Show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luke, I totally know what you mean. Even though I think FYC is the weakest, I still love it :P Marilyn Hack's "transformation" and all of the Home for Purim scenes are just unbelievable. I just don't think it's as LOL funny as some of the other ones. But Waiting for Guffman is too amazing for words, really. :D

    And Simon...you and I both know that she is and has always been mine. Don't try to deny it. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Waiting for Guffman" at the top over "Spinal Tap"? I like your boldness. But I have to go with Rob on this one -- despite the many flaws "For Your Consideration" has, there are flashes of brilliance and great comedy." I plainly cannot hate a movie with lines like "In every actor there lives a tiger, a pig, an ass, and a nightingale."

    My list would probably go something like:

    "Spinal Tap"
    "Best in Show"
    "A Mighty Wind"
    "Waiting for Guffman"
    "For Your Consideration"

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...leave a comment!