The rants and raves of a teenage cinephile who is just a little bit obsessed with Catherine O'Hara and Hayao Miyazaki.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Best Score Ranking: 2001

Another great year! Here goes...

5. A Beautiful Mind - James Horner



I quite like the main theme (what you hear above). The rhythmic tension and use of piano and voice are so effective and exciting. It's too bad the rest of the score didn't quite live up to that. It often sounds too much like a made-for-tv movie


4. Artificial Intelligence - John Williams


Wow, JW was having quite a year, eh? Well, anyway, I really love this score as well, very beautiful. Not one of Williams's most memorable by any means but still very good. After all, Science Fiction is the genre in which Williams really knows what he's doing.


3. Monsters Inc. - Randy Newman



I've said it before, I have such a soft spot for Randy Newman. I just love the theme music. It's different, jazzy, and perfect for the movie.


2. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - John Williams



Oh, in almost any other year this would have been my choice. This is one of, if not THE best John Williams score besides Star Wars. "Hedwig's Theme" is so memorable, and the instrumentation in this score especially is just perfect. Brings back so many memories!


1. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - Howard Shore


Well, DUH! I mean, really, how much is there to say about this. Shore's work for this movie is one of the best scores of all time - it's beautiful, grand, mischevious when need be, moving...and every moment of it is beautiful. Not a note out of place.


Should Have Been Nominated...

Amelie (Yann Tiersen) comes to mind immediately as having been snubbed. Such good music in that one. I also feel like Shrek (Harry Gregson Williams and John Powell) had a very good, and lasting score that probably deserved at least a nomination. After all, Dreamworks uses it in its opening sequence now and it's all over the Universal Studios Theme Parks.

And check out the full updated ranking!

What was your favorite score of 2001? Share your thoughts in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. Nice thoughts, definitely the best was LotR. I'd like to see you do 2000...my favourite is the one everyone seems to hate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen all of these despite Artificial Intelligence , and I would probably go with H.P though I don't remember much of all them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew: All right then, 2000 will be next! It looks like it should be an interesting year, actually...

    Joe: HP is a fantastic choice! One of my personal faves. :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...leave a comment!