The rants and raves of a teenage cinephile who is just a little bit obsessed with Catherine O'Hara and Hayao Miyazaki.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Tropic Thunder (2008)

This was easily one of the funniest movies I saw in a long time. Also, it was extremely creative - the way that it began with the faux-trailers was just brilliant, and though it's a narrative cop-out it works just perfectly. The entire cast works with each other perfectly, and Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise were definitely worth the buzz. Of course, sometimes I feel like the humor went just a bit too far over the top - when Ben Stiller was messing with the dead director guy's head, for example. I'm also just not the hugest fan of Stiller in general. Nonetheless, though this is no life changing work of cinematic magic, it completely achieved its goals as a crazy comedy with a cinephilic sense of humor.

9/10

5 comments:

  1. Would you say Downey J.r would have been a worthy winner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I agree with Ledger's win because he was my favorite that year, and I think my second choice would be Josh Brolin, but Downey Jr. would definitely come in third after those two. I think it was great that the Academy honored such a purely comedic performance, for once. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, it's a laugh riot and one of the funniest comedy of the past few years. I don't think it holds up as well on multiple re-watch though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And did you get my email about the Eye contest? I think I got most of them right.... hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes, Joe! I did. Sorry, I haven't put the results up yet, I'm so behind... :( But I think you'll be quite pleased with what happens. ;)

    And Castor, it is hysterical! I actually want to watch it again in the near future, hopefully it's just as funny...we'll see.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...leave a comment!