The rants and raves of a teenage cinephile who is just a little bit obsessed with Catherine O'Hara and Hayao Miyazaki.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Volver (2006)


I'd been waiting so long to see this movie, and I finally got my hands on a copy of it. I am so glad I finally did! I've only seen one other film by Almodovar ("Flor de mi Secreto", appropriately) so I didn't know what to expect. Needless to say, I was blown away by every part of this film.

The blending of the several storylines is flawless, helped immensely by the fabulous acting. This is easily Penelope Cruz's best performance (at least, the best of her Oscar nominated ones). She blazes through the screen without being hammy or over the top, as Raimunda lies and fights to help the ones she loves. It's really a wonderful performance, and her lip syncing scene, though it was lip syncing, hit me in the deepest recesses of my soul.

The other actresses, especially Carmen Maura, Lola Duenas, and Blanca Portillo, also give wonderful performances that each add so well in their own way. The music score was beautiful, and worked seamlessly into the movie.

And the writing was perfect. The dialogue was witty, sharp, touching and often funny, and the intertwining of every character's individual story was absolutely fabulous. So, so well written.

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this movie. I loved everything about it. It also solidifies 2006 as probably one of the best "Best Actress" years at the Oscars. Now that I've seen all five of the performances, I can honestly say that it is jam packed with brilliance. So hard to pick a favorite!

Thus, I give "Volver" a rare...

10/10

5 comments:

  1. I like the film a lot too, and Penelope was great! Who would be your 06 pick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, that's such a tough question! I think that I would have to say Winslet, but it's by such a small margin. On another day I might say Dench or Streep. Mirren and Cruz are both fantastic (probably Cruz one notch over Mirren, for me) but I'm not sure either of them would be my choice. Such a tough year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still haven't seen this, and until I do, I stand by Broken Embraces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Almodovar and Volver. It is the film that made me love Penelope Cruz -- I wasn't convinced about her as an actress until I saw it.

    I really wanted her to win the Oscar but Kate Winslet was a very close second because Little Children is one of my favourites.

    Helen Mirren has had much better performances than in The Queen.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...leave a comment!