The rants and raves of a teenage cinephile who is just a little bit obsessed with Catherine O'Hara and Hayao Miyazaki.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Best Score Ranking: 2010

Here's my personal ranking of this year's crop of Best Score nominees. For those of you who want to read more about these scores and what I thought of them (albeit, in a much more objective light) you can check out my post for LAMB Devours the Oscars!

5. 127 Hours - A.R. Rahman


I really think the score enhances the film though if you compare it to the others, it just seems a bit amateurish. Rahman is forced to be more traditional and unfortunately it doesn't quite work as well as "Slumdog Millionaire".



4. Inception - Hans Zimmer

Oh, Hans. I've said it before, Hans Zimmer can only write loudly and unfortunately it begins to get tiresome. I also wasn't a big fan of the movie itself. However, his style works well for "Inception", and for the most part it's a very successful score that creates a mood. It's also very important to consider that it has become really iconic since the film's release.


3. The King's Speech - Alexandre Desplat

Alexandre Desplat is never bad - this is certainly lesser work but it's still quite lovely and so, so effective. I love Desplat's orchestration...the instruments are so beautifully mixed and mingled and the tender sound is so lovable. It's not his best work, not even his best from the year but it's still amazing how unique it is.


2. How to Train Your Dragon - John Powell


In my opinion, Powell's score is the best part of HTTYD, which as you all may know, I majorly loved. The sweeping epic strings are traditional but beautiful. Powell has a lot of great moments to work with and be flashy, and his tender and fun score makes the movie soar.


1. The Social Network - Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross


Okay, I love this score. I'd call the "Hand Covers Bruise" theme the best opening movie theme since, like, "Lord of the Rings" or "Harry Potter". Every single piece of this score is just so, so effective and not only that, but it stands alone marvelously. A unique, fantastic masterpiece.


Should Have Been Nominated: Honestly, from the eligible scores, I think this was the best possible lineup (I haven't seen "The Ghost Writer"), except the snub for Rabbit Hole (Anton Sanko). Ineligible scores that I personally love include I Am Love (John Adams), True Grit (Carter Burwell), Black Swan (Clint Mansell) and Scott Pilgrim VS the World (Nigel Godrich).


What were your favorite scores of the year? Sound off below!

3 comments:

  1. *cough*blasphemy*cough* no, I pretty much agree with you exactly (especially on who should have been nominated), but my love for the HTTYD score knows no bounds, I'd flip it and Social Network

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen 127 Hours yet, but all of these scores pretty much are impressive.

    Here's my ranking:
    1. Inception - brings the dream effect effectively
    2. TSN - delivers the authentic technological setting of the film w/o dropping the emotions
    3. HTTYD - as sweeping as the visuals
    4. TKS - subtlety regns just as its subtle actors

    Over-all a really impressive line-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other ones the academy should have considered - Tron: Legacy, The American & The Ghost Writer (also by Desplat, and I honestly think it might even be better than his work on The King's Speech)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...leave a comment!