The rants and raves of a teenage cinephile who is just a little bit obsessed with Catherine O'Hara and Hayao Miyazaki.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

TV Meme Day 4: My Favorite Show Ever!

When thinking of television shows that I'd call my "favorite", there is one that easily takes the cake, and that show is Spongebob Squarepants. Seriously, people! :P

A huge part of the reason that I love Spongebob is because I'm the PERFECT age to have fallen in love with the show. I was an impressionable 7 when the show premiered in 1999 (I actually vividly remember watching the first episode), and as I grow up, the show seems to as well.

I'm not going to describe what Spongebob is about, because you should all already know. :) But, it's just an amazing show. The hilarious cast of characters, like Patrick, Squidward, Sandy, Mr. Krabs, and plankton, led by Mr. Squarepants himself of course, is always irresistibly charming. And, Tom Kenny's voiceover work for Spongebob is probably one of the most influential voice-acting jobs ever.

One of the most impressive accomplishments of Spongebob is that it appeals to such a wide audience. I know that not find it funny, but it's a show that appeals to adults with wry and subtle mature humor, while its colorful jokes and characters appeal to even the youngest of kids. As I said before, it's a show that "grew up with me" - I can really watch any episode and find something new to laugh at every time.

Not to mention the fact that I've often noticed discreet social commentary in episodes of Spongebob. For example, the "Grandma's Kisses" episode is an interesting look at familial-social relationships, and the episode "Jellyfish Hunter" takes an unforgiving look at what is certainly a parallel to factory farming. Whether these messages are intentional or not, they still exist and add an entirely new dimension to the hilarity.

Perhaps Spongebob Squarepants seems like an immature choice for my FAVE SHOW EVER OMG but I absolutely can NOT deny that it is. I've loved it ever since I first saw it ten years ago and I'm sure that I'll continue loving it for years to come.

2 comments:

  1. I used to hate this show, but I think there are some funny parts, especially with Plankton and Squidward. I don't really like Spongebob the character and Patrick is okay.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...leave a comment!