The rants and raves of a teenage cinephile who is just a little bit obsessed with Catherine O'Hara and Hayao Miyazaki.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Best Animated Film...From Best to Worst

I love this category at the Oscars for obvious reasons. Anyway, commentary to follow.

1. Spirited Away (2002)
2. Wall-E (2008)
3. Ratatouille (2007)
4. Up (2009)
5. Wallace and Gromit (2005)
6. The Incredibles (2004)
7. Finding Nemo (2003)
8. Shrek (2001)
9. Happy Feet (2006)

Obviously "Spirited Away" is first. And "Wall-E" is just beautiful.

The best year overall (nominees-wise) was by FAR 2005. "Corpse Bride", "Howl's Moving Castle" and "Wallace and Gromit" would have all been truly worthy winners. This past year was also extremely strong, even though "Up" was my favorite, I would have been extremely happy to see any of the other nominees win.

2006 was ridiculously weak. At the time, I was psyched that "Happy Feet" beat out "Cars" - but on a recent rewatch of "Happy Feet", I was extremely disappointed...it's a snooze fest. I'll review it in more depth at a later time. I'll have to rewatch "Monster House", because I didn't like "Cars" either.

And how about Pixar needs to stop dominating this category? Just kidding. In my opinion, they much deserved it every time they won (and, I'm inclined to say, every time they lost, too). However, I do believe the reign of Pixar is coming to an end (or at least a break). It should be interesting to see how "Toy Story 3" does this year with the Academy...and with critics in general. We don't have much longer to wait to find out for ourselves, now do we?

Anyway, the other three films that Pixar seems to have in production right now aren't really psyching me out that much. "Cars 2"? Ugh. I am not at all interested to see that. "Brave" sounds interesting, hopefully it's up to par. And according to Wikipedia, they're also working on "Monsters Inc. 2" which...should be...interesting! It could be really good, we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm personally getting extremely excited about "The Illusionist" though - you know, Sylvain Chomet's film. I'm actually anticipating it so badly. And, random thought..."Persepolis" was amazing, would it not be lovely to see Marjane Satrapi adapt one of her other graphic novels? ("Chicken With Plums" plz)

Anyway, comment below on whether you agree or disagree on my ranking, the Academy's choices, and your thoughts on Pixar's future and the future of animation in general!

2 comments:

  1. 1. Spirited Away

    2. The Incredibles

    3. Shrek

    4. Walle

    5. Ratatouille

    6. Finding Nemo

    7. Wallace And Grommit

    8. Up

    9. Happy Feet

    I'm sick of Pixar winning every year, especially over more deserving winners in my opinion (The Triplets Of Belleville in 03, Persepolis in 07)
    I also disagree about 2005 being the strongest year- I didn't really like any of the nominees, but I think I would go with Howl's Moving Castle. To me, the strongest year was 2002, I liked all of them except for Spirit Stallion Of The Cimmaron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Props on putting Spirited Away at the top! If you haven't seen Princess Mononoke and Graves of the Fireflies, I highly recommend you those two. Heck, you should drop everything and see those now!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...leave a comment!