The rants and raves of a teenage cinephile who is just a little bit obsessed with Catherine O'Hara and Hayao Miyazaki.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Now Playing: Toy Story 3

Oh, Pixar! I'm always so, so skeptical about their movies before they come out. I scoffed at the trailers for Ratatouille, Up, and Wall-E but ended up loving the movies so much. Such is the same with Toy Story 3. I was taken aback by the idea of a third film in the series, and I wasn't particularly impressed with the trailer. But ah, was I proven wrong.

In the third installment of the "Toy Story" series, Andy is now 17 and heading off to college. His toys, including the famous Woody and Buzz Lightyear, are no longer getting played with and they really miss the golden years. Through a bit of a mistake in packing, the toys end up at the Sunnyside Day Care and though it seems like paradise at first, things are not what they seem and it's up to Woody to save everyone and bring them back to Andy.

Toy Story 3 (which is written surprisingly by Michael Arndt, who wrote one of my fave movies of all time, "Little Miss Sunshine") is a perfect piece of nostalgia for those of us who grew up with the first two movies. It starts with an opening montage of home video footage of Andy playing with the toys set to "You've Got a Friend in Me" that was absolutely perfect. I was a blubbering mess during that scene, it was so touching.

Besides being a reminiscence of the old Toy Stories, TS3 also brings a great amount of successful new material to the table. I loved the new toys, especially Bonnie's theatrical troupe (with toys voiced by Bonnie Hunt and Kristen Schaal, among others) who were consistently cute and hysterical. It's a very fun movie and though some of the action-type scenes were a bit long for my taste, they were exciting, especially the climax.

There are not really many, if any, issues I had with the film, besides that afterwards it didn't have the mental staying power that some of Pixar's other films have. It's surely not fair to judge this movie based on Pixar's past successes, but it's hard not to, especially when Pixar has a nearly perfect record.

Overall, TS3 is a great addition to the Toy Story series (is it the finale? I hope so, though who knows, they might make a four, tis not my decision). It's very well written and is both hilarious and touching. I cried, I laughed, I screamed - I felt every emotion possible during this movie. Though it doesn't necessarily surpass Pixar's more recent films it's still a great movie, especially for a tre-quel!

9/10

1 comment:

  1. I'm hesitant as well to call it superior to the last two classics that Pixar has put out (I'm kind of in love with both WALL-E and Up), but this was a pretty wonderful movie. And I'm proud to jump on the bandwagon with you on this one. Great time at the theaters. :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...leave a comment!