The rants and raves of a teenage cinephile who is just a little bit obsessed with Catherine O'Hara and Hayao Miyazaki.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Penguin Movies...From Best to Worst

Oh, Penguins. They're adorable and actually quite amazing creatures. But for a few years it seemed the penguin movies would just never stop coming, and though there weren't really that many, the trend is over. Let's take a look...

1. March of the Penguins (2005) - Blame it on this one for starting the onslaught of penguin movies. But really, it was quite a beautiful film and it tells an amazing story. Put away all the animation and what you really have are some fantastic animals that live in a very hostile atmosphere.

2. The Pebble and the Penguin (1995) - The penguin movie that came before penguin movies were cool. To be honest, I haven't seen this in ages, but I grew up on this one and from what I know I loved it. It really is a cute story, and like I said, this was the first big penguin movie, and it has some redeeming factual value, so you could call it sort of definitive.

3. Surf's Up (2007) - After the whole AWWW "March of the Penguins". OOOOH "Happy Feet"! This one came along and people (or at least me) were like "EWWW, more penguins? Seriously?" But I was pleasantly surprised. This movie is actually extremely enjoyable, it's got a unique mockumentary format, the penguins are the tropical kind which is new, and it's pretty funny, too. No masterpiece, but you could do worse...(see next entry)

4. Happy Feet (2006) - Yeah, this is the worst penguin movie of all of them. It's weird, because the first time I saw it I really liked it, but then after a recent rewatch, I was extremely disappointed. I'll review it in more detail a bit later, but it's really weak. To be honest, the only really good thing about it (besides Brittany Murphy's voice) is the cuteness of the penguins. Because penguins are freaking cute!

So there you go. There really weren't THAT many penguin movies, but they came in quick succession. We don't have to worry about any more though! (That is, until Happy Feet 2 in 3D comes out in 2011. Woot.)

So did I miss any major penguin movies? Do you agree with my ranking, and how do you feel about the genre? Comment belowww!

4 comments:

  1. I like Happy Feet, couldn't bear to watch Surf's Up more than the little I saw and the March is okay...I think...I really can't remember

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! So, I'm not all that thrilled about Happy Feet but I feel neutral about it - and I haven't seen Surf's Up or anything... but I remember seeing Pebble and the Penguin in theaters, and even as an 8-year-old thinking it was awful (and wondering about the weird "anatomically correct" female penguins... I mean, come on!) But great number one, to be sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHY? Why do there need to be so many penguin movies?! I know it's not a lot, but for penguins, it is.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...leave a comment!