The rants and raves of a teenage cinephile who is just a little bit obsessed with Catherine O'Hara and Hayao Miyazaki.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Quick! I need your help!

Hey readers! I actually need your help for a school project type thing. The actual logistics of the project are a bit too complicated to explain, but basically what I need from you all is to do what movie bloggers do best - recommend a movie to me.

But not just any movie - I'm looking for a REALLY good movie (preferably a recent one) that deals with the theme of "reconciliation between fathers and sons". That's very vague, I know, but I'm having trouble coming up with it on my own, and I know that with such diverse readers with all different movie-watching backgrounds, you all will be able to come up with something better than would I could think up on my own.

So go at it! Give me your best "reconciliation between fathers and sons" movie! And don't worry, this isn't cheating. Haha!

14 comments:

  1. Well, you've seen How to Train Your Dragon. Hm. The Steve Martin version of Cheaper by the Dozen has a runaway...not subplot, but segment. This is tougher than I thought, though I'm sure someone's about to mention something quite obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tron! Hey, it counts.

    Ooh! And Life As A House, which has the added bonus of Kevin Kline and punk/emo Hayden Christensen. It's pretty good.

    Ummm...oh, duh, one of my fave movies ever: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is chock full of father/son issues/reconciliation

    I are a movie nerd :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think no one is going to recommend this one. It's a Japanese movie called "Departures". Check it out.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1069238/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I TOTALLY forgot about "How to Train Your Dragon" and "Departures"! I've seen both of those, and the latter is especially perfect with the father-son thing. Thanks guys, for reminding me of those! :D

    Thanks SugaryCynic for your recommendations as well, I have to check out "Life as a House", I've not heard of it.

    See I knew you guys would be able to help me out. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i dont particularly like this movie, but it's been rainted and raved about since it came out. "The Squid and the whale" by Noah Baumbach

    if it were a father and daughter and story, my vote would be Sofia Coppola's Somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH Annie thank you so much! I love "The Squid and the Whale", I can't believe I forgot about that one. I've still got to see "Somewhere".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Broken Flowers. The Host? Tristram Shandy?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, the subplot of Inception is ALL about reconciliation between fathers and sons. There may not be enough there, but it's an interesting choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "The Return", "Revanche" and I more than second Annie on "Somewhere". It's just beautiful.

    What about "Finding Nemo" too?

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...oh and if you wanna give it a spin make it about mothers and daughters and watch "Volver" :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. How to Train Your Dragon is a great father-son film.

    Everybody's Fine, Fantastic Mr. Fox and The Proposal feature subplots about that.

    Maybe they would be fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i was gonna say "broken flowers" too, but someone beat me to it.
    it's a great film.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Still Walking was pretty fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great, thanks so much everyone! There are so many movies on this list and so much variety too. I'm really looking forward to discovering some of these films.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...leave a comment!