The rants and raves of a teenage cinephile who is just a little bit obsessed with Catherine O'Hara and Hayao Miyazaki.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Chocolat (2000)

For some reason, I was under the impression that I was either going to hate or be extremely disinterested in this film (I really need to stop having so many preconceieved opinions!). But, I was neither bored nor angry at this lovely movie! It's got a very solid, well-paced and well-written screenplay, the score is lovely (I'm ranking this year later this week) and overall it's just a delicious little morsel of a film. Plus, those sequences with all that CHOCOLATE...I cannot resist it. Juliette Binoche's performance is really wonderful - it's vibrant and vigorous, yet she's not afraid to show the uglier sides of her character and it's just magical. Judi Dench had the perfect blend of sass and emotion. Overall, it's a fluffy and delicious movie that I thoroughly enjoyed.

8/10

8 comments:

  1. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Love this one, saw it one Christmas with my sister and as cliched as it is - I just loved it. Juliette Binoche IS wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazingly rare to hear love for this movie, but I'm glad you like it! I haven't seen it in YEARS, so I can't say that I'll like it or dislike it.



    What's your 2000 Best Actress ranking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew: Awww! What a perfect Christmas movie! And it totally works despite the cliches. Binoche was lovely, just like the movie. Glad to hear you love it too!

    Joe: I rarely EVER hear anything about this movie, you're right! But it's definitely one you should revisit.

    This is embarrassing, but I haven't seen the other nominees from the year...O_O Juliette was wonderful though. However, my favorite at this point wasn't even nominated...Bjork in Dancer in the Dark ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of people give a lot of flack because they hate Lasse Hallstrom for a reason.

    And those chocolate scenes are mouth-watering. It's the worst film to watch in the middle of the night when there's no chocolate around. xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heard some good things about it and Juliette Binoche can do no wrong. Will give this a try someday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is mostly harmless fun, so it's hard not to like it. I think the Binoche nomination hate for this one is unmerited though - I'm glad you found the unique aspects of her performance. And god, that Rachel Portman score is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy: i know! I was craving chocolate for days and didn't have any! OMG

    Castor: Definitely check it out! Binoche is lovely.

    Luke: I feel like the only people who could hate Binoche are people who haven't seen her performance! It's really lovely and I feel like she took some risks that she didn't necessarily have to take.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing in the story is unpredictable, but watching these events unfold is as delightful as when your mom told you your favorite story for the 100th time.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...leave a comment!